Monday, July 21, 2014

Race Rave: Summer Safari Series with Moms Run This Town

photo courtesy of Heidi Calma Photography

I joined a new-to-me running club a few months ago. It's called Moms Run This Town (MRTT for those in the know). It is a national FREE women's running club and the one in my area is mother fabulous. I've known the Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads chapter and their leader for years but I just finally started paying attention and participating recently. I have every confidence that this group is as good as it is because of it's leader. You know how you tell kids to be themselves and not follow their friend of a bridge? Well if that friend is positive, organized, inspiring and a great leader - don't follow off a bridge, mind you, but down a running path? Sure,go for it; Be a follower. Other areas may be good too, but like most national organizations, my guess is they vary vastly. My area, luckily has a great leader and about 400 overall members with 50 very active, and 100 active members. (The remaining 300 I'd say vary in active-ness online/virtually).


This summer the national MRTT organized a summer race program called "Summer Safari Race Series". Our local chapter leader took this overall theme and hit it out of the jungle. We started with a 5K Run last month at a local recreation center. The 5k was called "Dash and Splash 5K". About 30 MRTT Moms gathered to "dash" a 5k -previously mapped out by our leader. After the run those moms who brought their children were able to let them run free in the recreation center "splash" playground. Simple yet awesome. And it was awesome because it was organized (which is not easy! A lot of pre-work and planning goes into any race big or small). Oh and because we had raffles. Who doesn't like to win stuff? I love to win.


We even had water stops!


Splash portion of "Dash and Splash" at one of the Virginia Beach Recreation Centers

The second event was the "Urban Jungle 10K" which for our chapter was located at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens. The Gardens is a beautiful place to run so that was a great start. Again the local Hampton Roads MRTT chapter leader took it the rest of the way. Organized race route, amazing raffles to give away, and a huge food spread for after the race. Whoa - I almost forgot - plus booze! A nice little lemoncello sorbet cocktail that took the sting out of the legs after a quick 10K. Perfect.




Beautiful area of the Botanical Gardens in Norfolk, VA

Running with the theme... 

Both events had swag bags (and good stuff, too!). If you signed up for a these two ($35) plus a third (separate fee) half marathon you also got a free medal. I am, suprisingly, not a run-for-bling runner - but if you are this medal is pretty great. I will be making mine into a magnet like I've done to my others so it can be seen and useful.

See the medal? Pretty good one! Towel for stroller, yes please! And my daughter LOVES the brush and mirror.

Each swag bag had two signs donated from Athleta - I love this one. Had my daughter grab it right then and there from some mamma motivation. LOVE.

Awesome Raffle that my mother, who I brought to watch the kiddos so I could run solo, won! Woot woot! There were several raffle gifts, but this is the one 'we' won^, courtesy of Beachbody coach, maggiebtrfly

In short, these two small race-runs with Moms Run This Town have been great. If you are in my area check out the local chapter here. If you need to find (or start!) one in your area, go here. Either way go follow and have fun! Oh, but hey, don't follow me; Both runs I just so happened to be upfront and I am two-for-two in wrong turns.


No comments:

Post a Comment